Case Study 1: Auctions
Due Week 7 Worth 250 pts
The following video describes auctions as price discovery mechanisms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWuxfVbIaU
Use the video on auctions and at least 3 academic and/or high-quality business publications, see definitions below, to answer the following questions in 5-7 pages:
1. There are many types of auctions each with strengths and weakness at uncovering the real price/value of an item. Compare and contrast:
a) the English and Dutch auctions; and,
b) the sealed bid first price auction and the Vickery Auction.
2. After many months of offers and counter offers for Sky PLC, the UK’s The Takeover Panel (http://www.thetakeoverpanel.org.uk/) required that Sky PLC be acquired via an auction. What type of auction was the Sky auction, who were the bidders and who won? Given that there had been multiple public offers revealed by the bidders, was the auction type selected the best type of auction for the Sky acquisition?
3. Auctions are widely used in finance, e-commerce and in e-games. Identify 3 applications of auctions used in finance, e-commerce and/or e-games. Explain the:
a) need for an auction in the product/service; and
b) what type of auction is used and why that type of auction is appropriate for the product/service.
4. Auctions are also widely used to generate revenue for not-for-profit organizations. What are the advantages/disadvantages of auctions as revenue generators for not-for-profit organizations?
5. Suggest ways in which the company you work for, or the company which you aspire to work for, can use auctions to better uncover value and increase revenue.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12) with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment length.
Acceptable Types of Publications
The definition of a high-quality professional business publication is one which is primarily a publication directed to reporting and/or analysis of the workings of business. Examples are: Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters…etc. Avoid general news publications such as USA Today, Washington Post, NY Times.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more