Learning Activity #1
As a new general manager of the Club, clearly identify how you plan to handle the situation described below, in light of your answers to steps 1 – 4.Include cited sources (with page/paragraph numbers) from the assigned readings to support your final analysis and decision (Step 4). Even though you are functioning as the general manager, responses to learning activities must be in THIRD PERSON, which means do not use “I, me, my” in your responses. Use headers to organize your response. At minimum, Must use atleast 4 references with website included, with in text citation from the course material provided below, (STEP 4).
Step 1 FIRST IMPRESSION: After reading the scenario, is your first impression to fire Jessica or put her on probation? Would you reprimand the Head Chef?
Step 2 PERSONALITY FACTORS: How does your personality affect how you would relate to Jessica in the workplace? Formulate your response using the following:
· Take the Jung Typology Test at http://www.humanmetrics.com/
· Identify your four letter personality under the test results and what it means in the workplace using the definitions in the typology.
· Identify Jessica’s four letter personality with clues from the case.
· Compare your personality and Jessica’s and how they complement or conflict in the workplace.
· How would this information influence your decision as to how to handle the situation?
Step 3 BIASES IN DECISION MAKING: Are there biases present in your reactions? Formulate your response by considering the following questions, ideas, and thoughts.
· What about this decision makes you feel outside your comfort zone and why? For instance, do you like decisive actions or strong personalities or do you want to please everyone? Can you handle the conflict with the Board members (who hired you) should you not give them the response they suggest?
· What is your emotional reaction to Jessica’s reply to your inquiry?
· Does your gender influence your initial reaction to Jessica’s response to your recitation of the Board member’s comments? Be honest, not politically correct!
· Based on the readings to date and the answers to the questions above, do you see any bias in your desire to handle this case? For instance, are you influenced by you new position status?
Step 4 CONCLUSIONS:
· Reflect on how you responded in Step 1
· Reflect on how you responded to Steps 2 and 3
· Explain, describe, and support how your initial reaction is different from the final way you would handle the situation at the club.
Case study/ Scenario:
Jessica Cuthbert was made Director of Cuisine at the historic all male Garrick Gentleman’s Club (Literary club) in London (https://www.garrickclub.co.uk/about/). Her appointment to the position came only six months ago and after 20 years with the club in other positions. The membership admired her management skills and her family heritage as there had been a Cuthbert at Garrick’s since 1831 when the club was founded. She worked hard in her new post. Cuthbert was known for being tough but fair in her approach to her staff.
Jessica was civil to everyone, but was considered a loner by her fellow directors and remote in her dealings with others. She often judged her co-workers and found little tolerance for their sometimes less than logical thinking. Jessica was shy and over the years she had trained herself to be more extroverted. However, this struggle was always with her. She does not get strength from being around people, but from being home alone. As the only female director, Jessica was fearful that she would not be treated with respect. Hitherto, Jessica was always under the supervision of men –something the culture of the club favored. In her new position Cuthbert became overly attentive to her staff and micromanaged everyone from the lowest dishwasher to her Head Chef. She did this because she felt that it was important to imitate a man’s reactions to the new position. The staff were unhappy with the change in her treatment of them and were demoralized. They had taken to calling her “iron drawers” behind her back.
Yesterday two of the club’s oldest, and controlling, board members of the club came to report her poor behavior to you, the Executive Director of the club. The members reported that she recently was overheard by several Club members arguing in loud voices with the Head Chef, who threatened to quit. The Board members said, “We cannot have her having a female temper tantrum. That cannot happen anymore.” Further, “The Chef is too good to have him leave. This is what you get for hiring a woman.” They want to see action. One of the senior board members then says “She isn’t up to the job and we think she should be put on probation or fire, but we know you will do what is best for the club.”
You call Jessica into your office and apprise her of the situation. She says very little but appears to be very shaken by the instructions uttered by the Board members. Jessica explains, “The Head Chef is much older than I am and he thinks that because I am young and a woman, he can run right over me and do what he likes. He just wants to spend money on food without understanding the costs he is generating. The Board members sure would not like it when their food costs double.” When you ask Jessica about her reaction to the Board members’ concerns, she draws herself up to full height and replies with defiance,” I realize that I am a woman in an all men’s club and that is a problem with many of the members. I have worked for this club for over twenty years and have always tried to act respectfully to the members and the staff. I resent being told that my behavior was due to a female temper tantrum.”
Course material to be used in answers
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more