Directions: Follow the instructions in each Part below to complete the assignment.
Victorian England – Survey Questions
Directions: Answer each of the following questions.
1. What monarch had the longest reign in English history?
2. Who was the Prince Consort?
3. What was the architectural triumph of the Great Exhibition?
4. What was the purpose of the Great Exhibition?
5. Where did the Royal family live?
6. What was the governing body of England?
7. What major form of transportation expanded?
8. Workers frequently engaged in what form of protest?
9. The capital of England was _____?
10. The official Church of England was also called ___ _____.
11. Name the only universities in England.
12. What controversy did Charles Darwin spearhead in 1859?
13. Name two political parties.
14. Who was the Grand Old Man of the liberal party?
15. Name the influential Jewish novelist who became Prime Minister.
True and False
Directions: Write the sentence and then show your response, true or false.
1. George Eliot was a woman.
2. Emily Bronte wrote Jane Eyre.
3. Most of the English were wealthy.
4. The US was still a group of colonies.
5. The main form of transportation was by chariot.
6. England is surrounded by water.
7. Shakespeare was alive during most of the century.
8. Edmund Burke was a famous London retailer.
9. The middle class became the most powerful political class.
10. A wealthy businessman could vote prior to 1832.
Directions: From the names below, identify those who were living and writing in Victorian England.
Graham Greene – John Buchan
Ben Jonson – Dante – Gabriel Rosetti
Cardinal Newman – Thomas Carlyle
Samuel Jonson – Charles Darwin
John Stuart Mill – John Donne
Benjamin Disraeli – Gerard Manley Hopkins
William Shakespeare – Diana Spenser
John Fowles – T.S. Eliot
Thomas Hardy – Charles Dickens
Henry Fielding – John Ruskin
Emily Bronte – Jane Austen
Robert Browning – Matthew Arnold
Geoffrey Chaucer – Samuel Richardson
William Makepeace Thackeray – Alfred Lord Tennyson
James Joyce – Sir Francis Bacon
Directions: Read the passage below and respond in writing to each prompt.
1. Consider the mood; what feelings do you sense?
2. Analyze the words. What words or phrases create problems? Can they be solved using context? Explain your answer.
. . . I remembered I was lying in the oak closet, and I heard distinctly the gusty wind, and the driving of the snow; I heard also, the fir-bough repeat its teasing sound . . . . I resolved to silence it, if possible . . . . “I must stop it nevertheless!” I muttered, knocking my knuckles through the glass, and stretching my arm out to seize the importunate branch: instead of which, my fingers closed on the fingers of a little ice-cold hand!
The intense horror of nightmare came over me; I tried to draw back my arm, but, the hand clung to it, and a most melancholy voice, sobbed,
“Let me in! let me in!”
As it spoke, I discerned, obscurely, a child’s face looking through the window. Terror made me cruel; and, finding it useless to attempt shaking the creature off, I pulled its wrist on the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fro till the blood ran down and soaked the bedclothes: still it wailed, “Let me in!” and maintained its tenacious gripe, almost maddening me with fear.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more