1. What is one difference between qualitative and quantitative analysis?
2. Use Table 1 to determine which metal ion would be identified as the reactant if a reaction with ammonia produces a violet complex? Use scientific reasoning to explain your answer.
3. Use the pH scale to describe an acidic solution and a basic solution. At what pH would a solution be considered neutral? Why?
Table 2: Litmus Test Results of OH- and H+ Solution Type
Initial Litmus Color
Final Litmus Color
Acid or Base? Acetic acid
Acid Sodium bicarbonate
Base Table 3: Test Results Solution Type
Final Carbonate Ion
Bubble formation when an acid is added
Bubbles Sulfate Ion
White precipitates when barium chloride is added to the solution.
White precipitates Phosphate Ion
Formation of white precipitate
White precipitate formed Calcium Ion
Formation of precipitate
Precipitate Table 4: Determination of an Unknown Results
Carbonate Ion Test Tube
Sulfate Ion Test Tube
Phosphate Ion Test Tube Observations
No bubbles observed. Solution remained clear
White precipitate formed Result: Positive or Negative?
1. What ion is contained in the unknown solution? Use your results as evidence.
2. Imagine that the unknown solution contains aqueous ammonium sulfate, which is commonly used in fertilizer. Write a balanced equation for the precipitation of barium sulfate after mixing aqueous ammonium sulfate and barium chloride.
3. Identify and discuss any sources of error for this experiment. How could you mitigate error?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more