GENV 205 week 5 chapter 9 quiz
Week 5 Chapter 9 Quiz
1) Freshwater accounts for ____ percent of total water in the world.
2) The water table is
anywhere water is visible on the surface.
where streams and lakes intersect.
the uppermost level at which water fully saturates rock or soil.
synonymous with groundwater.
where water under pressure rises.
3) Places where water from aquifers naturally percolates up to the ground surface are known as
cones of depression.
4) Saltwater intrusion into freshwater aquifers may be a problem in
the midwestern United States.
areas with many freshwater lakes.
5) The purpose of aqueducts is
to protect river channels.
to store water.
to move water from one place to another.
to create wells.
obsolete because they were created by the Romans.
6) Half of the amount of desalinated water is produced in ____.
the Middle East.
7) Of the world’s freshwater, roughly ____ percent is used for agriculture, ____ percent is used for industry, and ____ percent is for household use.
10; 20; 70
70; 20; 10
70; 10; 20
40; 20; 40
33; 33; 31
8) Overall, the greatest percentage of household water use in the United States is for
outdoor vegetable gardens.
9) Nearly ____ percent of the world’s population lacks access to safe drinking water.
10) A method that has been implemented to reduce water use in dry climates such as Nevada is to
prohibit people from planting grass on their lawns.
pay people to plant native vegetation instead of grass on their lawns.
prohibit use of washing machines during the day, when energy use is at a peak.
prohibit garden stores from selling vegetation that doesn’t naturally grow in dry climates.
require watering lawns at night to reduce water loss from evaporation.
11) Tests on water can be used to indicate the likelihood of human wastewater contamination by testing for indicator species such as
fecal coliform bacteria.
Vibrio Cholerae bacteria.
Salmonella Typhi bacteria.
12) The most prevalent way to treat human waste in rural areas where a large amount of land is available is
stormwater drainage systems.
13) Primary treatment in a sewage treatment plant is designed to
remove pathogens from wastewater.
remove solids from wastewater.
create sludge for use as fertilizer.
move water from municipalities to the plant.
14) A low pH in water bodies can result from all of the following EXCEPT
passing water through limestone treatment facilities.
flooded, abandoned underground mines.
15) Concerns over the wide use of synthetic pesticides include all of the following unintended effects EXCEPT
the pesticide may be lethal to non-target species as well as target species.
pesticide use leads to an altered species composition of the community.
the chemistry of the inert ingredients.
physiological side effects on pest and non-pest species.
acidification of nearby streams.
16) Methods used to remove spilled oil from the surface of the ocean include
I. containment booms and oil vacuums.
II. chemical dispersants.
III. large screens.
I and II only
I and III only
I, II, and III
17) The Clean Water Act
I. protects surface waters.
II. protects groundwater.
III. protects the diversity of aquatic species.
I and II only
I and III only
I, II, and III
18) The United States legislation that empowers the EPA to establish maximum contaminant levels in drinking water is the
Clean Water Act.
Clean Air Act.
Safe Drinking Water Act.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more