For the proofs requested below, use facts and theorem given in this lesson, including results given
in the exercises, as justifications. Assume all letters represent integers.
(1) Mimic the proof given in the sample solutions for the proposition if a > 0 and b > 0, then
ab > 0 to prove:
(a) If a < 0 and b < 0, then ab > 0.
(b) If a < 0 and b > 0, then ab < 0.
(2) Prove that is m 2 = n 2 , then m = n or m = −n.
(Hints: (1) From algebra: a 2 − b 2 = (a + b)(a − b), and
(2) From exercises: If ab = 0, then either a = 0 or b = 0.)
(3) Determine all the integers that 0 divides.
Hint: Think carefully about the definition of the divides relation! This question is
about the divides relation, not about the arithmetic operation of division (a maybe subtle
distinction). The correct answer is probably not what you might first think it is.
(4) Prove: For integers r,s,t,and u, if r|t and s|u, then rs|tu.
(5) Determine the quotient and remainder when 117653 is divided by 27869. (Finally, an easy
(6) (bonus) Prove or give a counterexample: If p is a prime, then 6p + 1 is a prime.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more