P19-1 On October 15, 2012, the board of directors of Ensor Materials Corporation approved a stock option plan for key executives. On January 1, 2013, 20 million stock options were granted, exercisable for 20 million shares of Ensor’s $1 par common stock. The options are exercisable between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2018, at 80% of the quoted market price on January 1, 2013, which was $15. The fair value of the 20 million options, estimated by an appropriate option pricing model, is $6 per option.
Two million options were forfeited when an executive resigned in 2014. All other options were exercised on July 12, 2017, when the stock’s price jumped unexpectedly to $19 per share.
1. When is Ensor’s stock option measurement date?
2. Determine the compensation expense for the stock option plan in 2013. (Ignore taxes.)
3. What is the effect of forfeiture of the stock options on Ensor’s financial statements for 2014 and 2015?
4. Is this effect consistent with the general approach for accounting for changes in estimates? Explain.
5. How should Ensor account for the exercise of the options in 2017? (Enter your answers in millions. Round your answers to the nearest dollar amount. Omit the “$” sign in your response.)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more