Instructions: Visit an area where you can discretely observe social interaction (i.e., a cafeteria, a restaurant, the mall, a social event, etc.) and complete the summary and analysis below. Before conducting your observation, review the following concepts from your text:
Review the symbolic interaction approach (pages 20-22)
Chapter 5: Socialization
Chapter 6: Social Interaction in Everyday Life
The Activity: Spend some time (minimum of 15 minutes) quietly observing what is going on and briefly summarize what different persons in the setting were doing.
Summary and Analysis: Once you have completed your observation and made notes, analyze the patterns of social interaction that you observed and respond to the following:
1) Describe the context for your observation. This includes the location, setting, type of people observed, time of day, day of week length of observation, etc. You may also include any other details you deem relevant.
2) What examples of socialization did you notice? This may include the process of socialization in progress (i.e. a parent encouraging their child to use good table manners) or evidence of the effects of socialization (i.e. waiting politely in a long line).
3) Give at least three examples of each of the following that you observed during your interaction: ascribed status, achieved status, and roles.
4) Describe at least five examples of social exchange that you noticed and discuss the potential impact (helpful, disruptive, etc.) on the individuals involved.
5) What examples of “gendered” interaction did you notice regarding the ways in which women and men are socialized regarding demeanor, uses of space, starting, touching, smiling, and language. Explain whether or not this was consistent with what you learned in chapter 6 (pages 165-166 and 170).
Mechanics: Assignments must be a minimum of one page, single spaced, typed, standard 8.5×11 page, 1” margins, Times New Roman or Arial 10-12 point font, and include your name/course/assignment title/date.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more