I. Access the U.S. Census Bureau’s FACT FINDER
Type in your city or town’s name ( ST. MARY’S,MARYLAND ) in the window on the Fact Finder web-page.
Note the estimated (2013-2017) median income for your community appearing in the blue bar toward the top of the window. (If income doesn’t appear, be sure to click on the “Income” bar on the left-hand side).
Name your community and report it in the answer to the first question in the discussion questions’ list.
II. Explore the Urban Institute’s Map – “City, Community and Regional Changes” in the U.S.
Move your cursor to your city/town on the map. Use the U.S. city or town you consider to be “home” if currently living outside the U.S. Click on that spot on the map. A set of graphs will come up showing estimated changes in population size by race/ethnicity and age. Below that, you will see “Age and Race Detail” with graphs of “age pyramids” and race/ethnicity as well as “age pyramids” that indicate whether the overall population and subgroups are aging. See what happens to the charts as you click through the years 2000-2030. Economically speaking, the more lopsided the pyramid, the more difficult it will become for a younger generation to support the older generations; however, some also argue that a declining younger population might have environmental benefits, so there is a tension between these values (economic growth and tax revenue needed to support an older generation and if birth rates slow, less consumption and use of finite resources).
You can cross-check cross some of these facts about your home county by going to:
1. The sociological theory of Relative Deprivation holds that an individual’s perception of reality is based on the human tendency to compare his or her socio-economic situation to that of others. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the median income in the U.S. in 2017 was $59,039. What was the median income in your city/town? How might that shape a resident of your chosen town’s perception when compared to the median income of the country at large? Keep in mind that there is a relationship between median income and cost of living. Higher median incomes are associated with higher cost of living in that area while lower median incomes indicate lower cost of living.
2. Based on your use of the Urban Institute’s Map, name one demographic change in your community or closest city that will be important in the future. Explain why you think it will be important (for example, economically, politically, environmentally, etc).
3. Name one difference between Generation Z and an older generation (other than Millennials) that you found to be interesting and/or surprising. What is interesting or surprising about it, and what do you think accounts for the difference?
4. What are the major differences between cohabiting and solo parents? Can we deem these differences uniformly “good” or “bad”? Why or why not, in your view?
Related Link for Discussions Questions
· Please read the entire report either online or you can download the pdf (once you go to the webpage, you’ll see a link for “Complete Report” at the upper right of the page under “Report Materials”. Pay attention not only to the details comparing Generations Z and Millennials, but also on key highlights comparing these two generations to older generations (labels for each generation are explained in the report).
Or just click here: Generations-full-report_FINAL_1.18.pdf
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more